About Watford’s Oldest Pub

The One Crown Pub is housed in a beautiful Grade II listed timber framed building. It was largely constructed in the 1500s, with further developments being made in the 17th and 19th centuries. Original features such as the ceiling beams remain intact and integral to the buildings structure and character.

The pub, originally an inn which could provide accommodation for two guests, was established in order to cater for the local and passing coach trade. The earliest legal record of the pub dates back to the 1750s, when the landlord at the time, Jeremiah Friend, obtained the pubs first full licence. Over the years the pub has changed hands on number of occasions, and has been owned by significant figures in Watford’s history including renowned brewer Edmund Fearnley Whittingstall.

The local pub is a British instituation and it is very sad and far too common to see them closing all over Britain’s high streets. The One Crown team is therefore committed to ensuring that this gloriously historic pub not only survives, but that it can be the best it can possibly be. We aim to create a setting and atmosphere, and to provide excellent levels of service so that the people of Watford have a traditional public house on their high street that they can be proud.

Tradings Since the 1500's